Thursday, February 12, 2009

Server Crash

The last week has been crazy. One of our server's had a hardware failure last Saturday. I worked from 8am until midnight to get a loaner running so we would be operational on Monday. This week I have been fixing setup bugs and working on a quote for a new server. I have learned a lot through this exerience -- redundency is key to keeping your business flowing. I have been thinking about what our acceptable level of downtime is this week. I have also been thinking how thankful I am that this situation did not happen during the work week. I would have had 20 some employees without computers. I also was thankful today to find a backup tape with my work email. Note: files that are open do not get backed up. I have had a habbit of leaving my email open. That will not happen any more because of the time I have spent trying to find a copy. And, I could have totally lost it which would have crippled me for a while. God has been watching after me through this situation. I have had some good people helping me out (thanks Travis!!) and an awesome God looking after me. I am looking forward to a quieter weekend to come.

0 comments: